Sunday, January 25, 2009

ch ch ch chia!

Remember chia pets? I bet you never thought about eating chia seeds. Me either.


Turns out chia seeds (the food grade ones) are a "super food" and pretty popular amongst raw foodies. I got curious about them awhile ago, but the prices in the stores were super expensive and I forgot it until Dirkey hooked me up with some chia pudding. It was weirdly satisfying.

So I whipped out my Amazon gift certificate and found a decent price on some over there.

They came in the mail about a week ago and I threw together some coconut milk, water, cocao powder and agave. Chia seeds absorb lots of water and form a sort of gel-like porridge.
I've experimented a little more and my favorite combo is coconut milk, chocolate sauce and coconut shreds.

It's weird looking. Kinda like tapioca? I am enjoying it.


As my brother said to me the other day "You eat a lot of weird stuff."




Some of the claims of chia seeds are:

"Chia is an excellent vegetarian source of omega fatty acids, an easily digestible form of protein and full of minerals, vitamins and soluble fiber. It has much in common with flaxseed with the distinct advantage that the natural antioxidants make it more stable. Rich in Fiber, Omega Fatty Acids, Calcium, Iron and Protein."

1 comment:

  1. "...my favorite combo is coconut milk, chocolate sauce and coconut shreds."

    um, isn't that the standard favorite combo for everything ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I appreciate hearing from my tens of readers more than you know. :)