Wednesday, January 21, 2009

No-Cry Nap Solution

I guess you could call me an Elizabeth Pantley fan.
If you've known me for any period of time, you know that W was a colicky, "high-needs," sleep-fighting baby. I'd venture to say it was the hardest 6 months of my life. Not sleeping was not the only problem we had, but it definitely contributed negatively to the overall experience.

After searching for answers pretty much everywhere, I finally found some good advice in The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night. No quick fixes or empty promises, just simple strategies to encourage better sleep for the whole family.

I have since picked up The No-Cry Discipline Solution. I also got The No-Cry Potty Training Solution from the library recently. And I've been reading The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers this month to get some new ideas for the new sleep issues that came along with "the 2's."

Why am I such a fan? Pantley, unlike many other parenting "experts," does not give you one-size-fits-all formulas. Instead she encourages you to check your motives, set realistic expectations, analyze the situation and to create a plan that fits your family. Her strategies are respectful and gentle which meshes well with my own parenting style.

Needless to say, I'm interested in checking out Pantley's new book, The No-Cry Nap Solution.
From the excerpts I've read, it looks like another great resource.

4 comments:

  1. I just read No Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers/Preschoolers a few months ago, and really liked it. I definitely want to read the original for baby #2... Evie is NOT a good sleep-through-the-nighter. And as much as I would like that to change (NOW!! :) ) I've realized that I was just getting myself all upset by comparing her to other kids. I keep telling myself that it will happen when it happens... right?!?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. I can relate. We went through a long stretch of pretty consistant sleeping only to have it change on us again.
    But her book is good for getting your expectations on track too.
    What they say is true, "everything is a phase!" Good or bad, it will end eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a good series of books to look into. I'll have to see if our library has any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love her books too. Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I appreciate hearing from my tens of readers more than you know. :)