Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Fruity Play Dough

I have a confession to make. For someone who generally dislikes food dyes, I have a nostalgic affinity for Kool-aid. So I get my fix by playing with the stuff instead of drinking it. It can be used to dye protein fibers, such as wool yarn and silk fabric. And my son's favorite use is to make fun lightly scented play dough. He actually refers to the little packets of drink mix as "play dough." haha

We made another batch up a couple weeks ago with the intention of gifting half to a little friend for her bday.

(Recipezaar.com is the the original source for the recipe.)

Kool-Aid Play Dough
1 & 1/2 c. BLEACHED white flour
1/4 c. salt (regular salt works best, but I just happened to have kosher on hand)
1 packet drink mix, such as Kool-Aid brand
1-2 tsp Cream of Tarter (this is optional, but helps improve the texture I think. It's a little expensive so I only put about 1 tsp usually.)
1 & 1/2 Tbs oil
up to 1 cup BOILING water (the heat of the water "cooks" the dough so it's important that it's really boiling)

Mix up the dry ingredients. Add in the oil and the boiling water. I find that just under 1 c. of water is best measurement, but it depends on the humidity and stuff like that. Mix with a spoon until well blended and cooled down a bit. When cool enough to handle, turn out onto the counter and knead until smooth. (This part can be a little messy.) Keep in mind that it will firm up a bit as it cools. Once it's about room temp, put it in air tight containers. These little tupperware thingies are a perfect fit.

2 comments:

  1. Kool Aide takes me back--- not that it's good for you, but it sure does remind me of childhood.

    Nell

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I appreciate hearing from my tens of readers more than you know. :)