Friday, May 8, 2009

Hand-Me-Downs from Mom

When I became a mom, I realized how much my own mom had passed down to me over the years.
I am guessing that happens to a lot of people.
I am now able to see our similarities more, when before our differences were so glaring. I am able to appreciate the sacrifices she made. And I am more forgiving towards the mistakes made.
We never had many material things growing up and things were usually not easy. All those challenges have made me who I am today. I now see a greater purpose for it all.
Our relationship has been far from ideal, but I know that through it all my mom loved me and fought hard so that I could have the best life she could give.

My mom handed down to me... my blond hair, eyes that need glasses, a big rack, a fierce protectiveness over my child(ren), a strong desire to learn and educate myself, the importance of good nutrition, confidence to go against the flow when necessary, the ability to trust my decisions even if they are not the most popular choice, compassion for those in need and the importance of Faith and fellowship with other Christians (even when you don't feel like it).

Thanks mom! I appreciate the "hand-me-downs" now more than ever.

This post is an entry in the Parent Blogger's Network Mother's Day Blog Blast sponsored by JOHNSON'S® Brand. Their second annual Celebrity Hand Me Down charity auction runs from 7 pm PT on Thursday May 7 through 7 pm PT on Thursday May 14, featuring items donated by celebrity moms Gwyneth Paltrow and Jessica Alba. All proceeds will benefit the new global JOHNSON'S® NO MORE TEARS® Clean Water initiative via their well-known charitable giving site, Baby Cause.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post. Isn't it funny how we don't appreciate the gifts and values our mothers give to us unless it is in hindsight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'd say that between your fierce protective nature and your big rack, your mom has pretty much given you everything you need to succeed in life.

    ;-}

    Have a wonderful Mothers' Day!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I appreciate hearing from my tens of readers more than you know. :)