Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Notebook Experiment: Can I make homemade bagels?

I made these a couple weeks ago, but never got around to posting.
Experiment: Can I make homemade bagels?
Experiment Taken From: Mom Advice's Notebook Entry 04.29.09
Materials Needed: Please see this bagel recipe. And be sure to read this great article on the cost-effectiveness of making your own foods out of pantry ingredients.
Results: Yummy! W and I polished them off in a couple days.
This is the least bagel-looking bagel. Heh.
I think that I may have overcooked them in the water bath though because they didn't rise much in the oven. And since I used two different racks in my oven they didn't all cook evenly either. I think that I need to pay more attention next to the timing of everything.
Conclusion: All in all I think they turned out pretty good for a first try. I will be giving them another try soon.

4 comments:

  1. I had the same difficulties with the water bath and my pretzels flopping. Your bagels look great and so yummy! I bet they were delicious!! Thank you so much for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your bagels! That would be such a fun project :) Also, I loved the article on making pantry items yourself...I'd love to make my own yogurt. I've been buying Greek yogurt and she's right, it's expensive! Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look at your chef! How awesome.

    Nell
    SheSnaps.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I appreciate hearing from my tens of readers more than you know. :)