Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Blueberries!

It's blueberry season here in NJ!


The bountiful rain we are having is creating a bumper crop of the little blue gems. W and I checked out a "you-pick" blueberry farm yesterday. They use "organic methods" but are not certified organic. The weather was perfect. It was overcast and not too hot. It's so cheap to pick your own! I wanted to stay longer and pick more, but the little one was only into it for so long. I'm going to try again next week and bring a friend. I'm hoping W and the other kid(s) can entertain eachother while the mamas pick.

I came home and whipped up a blueberry cobbler. It was yummy, but since I subbed out the sugar for agave and the flour for whole wheat and oats it was not quite the sugary goodness of the regular stuff. (I'm watching my sugar intake due to the pregnancy.)

Gotta get more to freeze! And I think I need to add some blueberry muffins to my post-baby freezer stash.

PS I always think of my friend *shell* when I pick blueberries. She used to have a job doing it when she was a kid. :)

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, making my mouth water:-p Do you know when blueberry season ends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son would love it in your neck of the woods! They do look very yummy. Too bad they are wicked expensive in the local store.

    Nell

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I appreciate hearing from my tens of readers more than you know. :)