Friday, July 3, 2009

Popcicle Season

It's popcicle season! mmmm

The little guy just loves them up and I have fun mixing up new creations in my blender. I've been trying for a more pureed consistancy since they seem to melt slower and are a little less drippy. We do "green smoothies" many days. If there are leftovers they go in the molds. It's a great way to get some extra veggies in. And they are just fruits and veggies so W can eat as many as he wants.

If this seems like too much work to you, you can always just pour juice, iced tea or whatever beverage you enjoy into molds as well.

Here are some of our favorite combos this year. I eyeball the ingredients and add just enough liquid to let my blender work. If the fruit is a little tart I add some honey. If it needs some zip, add lemon or lime juice. For an adult palate you want the mix to be a little sweet/tart as the cold tones down those tastes. The little guy doesn't care so much.

GreeƱa Colada
Pineapple + Coconut Milk + Banana + handful of baby Spinach

Mango
Mango + Banana + Apple Juice + squeeze of lemon for some tartness (+you could add some shredded carrot to make it a brighter color)

Kiwi Strawberry
Strawberries + Kiwis + Honey + enough water to blend

Berry Blend
Blueberries + Strawberries + Banana + handful of baby Spinach + Juice to blend


I think I need some more molds since we've been going through these so fast... BTW, I use the Tovolo Green Shooting Star Pop Molds. They are BPA-free plastic and are a great design. I love how you can fill up each one individually. It makes for easy un-molding too.

(I was waiting for some good pictures before I posted this, but um not going to happen. LOL)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I appreciate hearing from my tens of readers more than you know. :)