Tuesday, July 14, 2009

waxing nostalgic

So far the trip is going well. It's a little odd being here. It's like time stands still for awhile. Gram's house is almost the same as it was when I was a kid. W is playing with some of the same toys I did when I was little. The town has changed a bit, but the variety store (aka dime store) is still filled with bins of candy and toys just like I remembered. I still miss the trailer next door where my Great Grandma used to live. It's been gone for at least 10 (or is it 20?) years now, but in my mind it should be there smelling of old people and pies baking.
My mom is telling the same stories about her childhood that I have heard over and over each time we visit.

And then there is the thought this might be our last visit. When someone is 88 and I don't get out here but once every couple years, you can't help but wonder.

W-man has been doing great. Yesterday he really got on my nerves as his 2-year-old-ness was kicking in... spraying down the laundry room with Shout and stuff like that... but overall it's been fine. I think my Gram is enjoying having him around for the most part. He is darn cute sometimes.

My brother and stepdad are joining us today and we will be heading to our Uncle's lake house for the weekend. It should be a bit more eventful from here on out.

1 comment:

  1. HUGS....I've been in the same situation a few years ago....visiting my grandpa! HUGS....I hope you enjoy the rest of your visit. However bittersweet it might be....have a blast!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I appreciate hearing from my tens of readers more than you know. :)