Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Away We Go

The hubs and I rarely go out to the movies these days.

Hello expensive. Netflix or a Redbox is much more budget friendly.

Anywho, last week we were granted the rare opportunity of DH getting home before 8pm and W was with grandmom so we decided to splurge on a trip to the movies.

We saw Away We Go. It was pretty much what I expected... quirky, subtly humorous and a little artsy. I really loved how it looked at parenting and families from different angles. I had to laugh at the super hippie Maggie Gillenhall character wearing her baby in a wrap and shunning strollers. There was also a scene that dealt with reoccurring miscarriage. It was very moving and unexpected. Both DH and I thought it was done so well. Whoever wrote it must have had some personal experience.
....

Oh and we Netflixed Knocked Up a couple weeks ago. Very vulgar and crude as expected but oh so funny to watch while you are pregnant.

....

We got to see Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince too. It was just ok. Definitely not one of my favorite movies from the series. The whole thing was a set up for the final chapter, but I guess that was to be expected. Also, they are waiting so long between releasing the films that I keep forgetting what happened in the previous movie. The hubs kept making fun of how old the actors are looking. IDK, they still looked like high schoolers to me, but maybe that's just me getting old. :)

3 comments:

  1. I've not heard of Away We Go... I'm gonna have to rent it when it comes out!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering how Away We Go would be. Thanks for the review, now I really want to see it. You are so right too about the intervals between Harry Potter movies...I totally forgot what had happened previously and I spent a lot of the movie thinking, OK who is this character again?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw Knocked Up when I was pregnant too - made me laugh.

    We are going to see Harry Potter tomorrow night. Sadly, the popcorn and night out excite me more than the movie itself.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I appreciate hearing from my tens of readers more than you know. :)