Wednesday, November 18, 2009

mom 'o 2

I think I have been doing ok with the transition to mommy of two. We've gotten past that 6 week hump and things are settling in.
I mean, I am sleep deprived, my house is a wreck and the laundry has taken over a couple pieces of furnture, but generally we are all well fed, clean and happy. We have had some rough nights of course. Nothing we can't handle or haven't done before. Honestly, we had such a hard transtion with our colicky first baby that anything seems easy in comparison. (Seriously one of the most difficult times of my entire life as I may have mentioned like a dozen times.) Papa K and I are really enjoying the baby phase this time. I'm like "Oh yeah! This is why people have babies!"

It sounds funny, but my biggest challenge is taking the kids grocery shopping. First off, I seriously dislike grocery shopping. Clipping coupons, chasing sales, planning meals... It used to be kinda fun but now it is such a hassle and takes far more brain power than it should. Due to a few recent mortifiying unpleasant experiences I've decided that I'm no longer taking W with me to the grocery store. It has become far too overstimulating for him to handle for some reason. Outings that are not so purpose driven seem to go more smoothly for me.

One unexpected joy is how sweet Big Brother W is with the little one. He is always kissing him and loving on him. Maybe because he is boy I didn't think he would be so nurturing? I know that since there is a decent age gap, he understands a little more. (Not that we planned it that way, but I'm glad it's working out.) We also talk a lot about What Baby Needs (Sears Children Library) and he seems to accept that. I'm sure they will fight with the best of them as they get older, but it is so sweet to see the bond they have right now. I'd like to think that the whole attachment parenting thing has helped this too. The other morning I found he had tucked his spare "night night" (security blanket) around his little brother and was talking to him. So cute.

My new strategy is to get out of the house at least a few mornings a week. When we are home, W's never ending energy and curiousity always leads to some sort of trouble. He is just so much work! LOL

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Being 30 weeks pregnant of a boy and having a 19 month boy has made me very stressed about what it will be like when the bellydweller will make it in to the world. I don't take my 19 month old to the grocery store. It's just not worth it. I think you are mighty brave to even try to take both of them. When my son was new born DH just stopped at the grocery store on his way home from work and then when I started going back to gradschool I would just stop on my way home.
    The never ending energy is felt in this house as well. I like to take DS to the park to let him blow off some steam the day's that he does not go to daycare (he goes MWF from 2pm till 5:30). He is going to keep going even after the baby is born and I'm just a stay at home mom because I think it is good for him to see the kids and play and for me to get the brake and be with the new one just one on one.

    Anyway, I'm glad things are functioning at your house. Hopefully I will be that lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm catching up a little.

    I wrote several times after Tessa was born about how hard I found it to go to the store with the 2 of them. Honestly, I still find it a pain but it got easier when she was able to ride in a double cart with Sabrina. There was a point when Tessa was maybe 4 or 5 months old that I just refused to go to the store w/ both of them. Steve started calling every night on his way home to see if I needed him to pick up anything. I started going on the weekend during naptime or in the evening after Steve got home or we went as a family on the weekends. I just couldn't take them both without my head exploding. In the past few months, I have taken them both to the store when necessary but I don't enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I appreciate hearing from my tens of readers more than you know. :)