Saturday, June 5, 2010

crazy bagel lady

One day last week I decided to make bagels. I also felt I HAD to roast the turkey that I had defrosting in my fridge. Oh yeah, and temps here were around 90.

I forgot about the weather when I started my plans for the day. Duh.

The bagels were soooo yummy that it was worth it. I tried two recipes this time.

I wish I had a picture to share, but we ate them all and I did not snap a pic. I think this is my fav method:
http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/05/cinnamon-raisin-bagels/

And I found a little vid on how to roll them:



Isn't the internet grand?

If you can make bread, you can make these. Actually I think it's easier to get a good result with bagels vs. bread.


A few tips: If, like me, you don't keep bread flour around, you can buy wheat gluten at the regular grocery store and add that to all-purpose flour. The extra gluten gives it the correct chewy texture. Use parchment paper or well seasoned stoneware unless you want them to stick. You want to flip them at least once to get light browning on both sides. Yes, they are a long process, but they are cheap, delicious and freeze well. These are going to be a staple in my house from here on out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I appreciate hearing from my tens of readers more than you know. :)