Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Finding Joy

Being a wife and a mother is work. All good relationships require some effort. And when the relationship is with a tiny, needy person(s) with no emotional maturity or sense of self and who is solely dependent on you for life... well it can get a bit draining. (I meant the kids not the husband. Zing.)
.
I used to think I was so laid back and patient. Heh. Let's just say God tested that theory with my first darling boy. FAIL!
.
I have been realizing more and more that I need to "recharge" by spending time with God. When I make the time to pray and read my Bible, even for a short period of time, my day is drastically different. No this is not a major revelation, but rather one of those "easier said than done" things.
.
My kids still do crap like this:

and a lot of this:
But my ability to "deal" is exponentially better. I think this can be true in any circumstance in life. When things suck, bring it to the Lord.
There is an old Hymn that has been stuck in my head lately that says it much more eloquently than I can.

The first verse goes like this:

What a friend we have in Jesus,
All our sins and griefs to bear!

What a privilege to carry
Everything to God in prayer!

Oh, what peace we often forfeit,
Oh, what needless pain we bear,
All because we do not carry
Everything to God in prayer!
My specific prayer has been for JOY and that I would truly enjoy this season of my life. And you know, what? It's working.

2 comments:

  1. Well said! I agree there is no other way to find true peace and joy in these tough circumstances than to turn to God.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How true this is! I don't have any children of my own, but I live at home still and have young siblings. I can be calm about many things, but He makes the difference when it comes to the often frustrating kid situations....

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I appreciate hearing from my tens of readers more than you know. :)