Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Snowflakes

Call me a science geek, but I love this stuff.  During a recent snowfall I looked up on my windshield, after we stopped of course, and I noticed that I could see the actual shapes of the snowflakes.  So I got my camera out and tried to capture some.  Here are my results.



If you want to try this, just take a dark piece of construction paper out and set your camera to "macro."  Most digital cameras have a macro setting represented by a flower icon.

This week, W and I have been learning about snowflakes and reading The Snowy Day


(We have been working our way through Before Five In A Row this year.)  While searching around for related info, I stumbled upon this neat site:


They used some special microscope and captured tons of amazing images like this one.  I just love the beauty of Creation.  Check it out!

2 comments:

  1. I love the snowflake pictures! I am womdering if my daughter would like doing something like this... she is 13 and involved with a photojournalism class at oour local library. Right now they are doing current shots of the town to be a photo timecapsule for the future. I wonder if they would think the snowflakes caught on paper and photographed would be interesting enough to include (along with the other snow shots of course) thanks so much for sharing and as a kid I loved "A Snowy Day" !

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I appreciate hearing from my tens of readers more than you know. :)