Saturday, June 25, 2011

Sourdough

I've been working on making more scratch foods for health and thrift.   Sourdough has been going well enough that I will share the recipe.  I got this from The Complete Tightwad Gazette


Sourdough Starter:
2 c. white flour
2 c. water, filtered (apparently chlorinated tap water kills the good bugs) or you can "air it out" in a open jug for a couple days
1 Tbs yeast

Sit at room temp for 48+ hrs (loosely covered w/ plastic) then cover and move to the fridge. Each time you remove some starter you must "feed." Just add back 1.5 c. flour and 1.5 c. water, stir, cover loosely and return to the fridge.

Sourdough Bread Recipe (two loaves):
5 1/2 c. flour (you can sub whole wheat for 1 or 2 cups... I've been having good results using 2 c. wh wh)
2 c. starter
1 Tbs Salt
1 c. water

Dissolve the salt in the water in a mixing bowl. Add starter, and then the flour. Stir, then knead until a nice elastic dough forms. Cover w/ a damp towel and let rise overnight (~8 hours) at room temp. The next morning punch down and divide in half. Shape each half into a round loaf, make an X shaped slash on each top and place the two loaves on a greased baking sheet. (You could put it in two loaf pans if you prefer that shape.)  Cover w/ damp towel and let rise about 4 hours. Place a pan of water on the bottom rack of the oven and preheat to 400 degrees. Bake for 35 min.

I have also been using this to make pizza crust.  I start it in the morning.  After the first rise, I roll it out into two large crusts and let it rise for only an hour or so, depending on how soon I need it.  I brush with a little olive oil, bake it at 400 for about 10 minutes, pull it out, put on the sauce and toppings, back in the oven until it's golden brown and cheese is melty.  mmmm

1 comment:

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I appreciate hearing from my tens of readers more than you know. :)