Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Blueberry Ice Cream

We have gone blueberry picking 3x's this season.  I'd love to get over there one more time before the season ends.  Loving the cheap, organic berries!  We froze a bunch for smoothies and snackin' and so on.  I wish we could put up enough to last the winter, but I'm only one Mama.  The littles are more into the eating than the storing up.   As a change from the muffins and crisps, I made blueberry ice cream this year.

The orginal recipes was from food.com, but I tweaked it a bit.

Blue Berry Ice Cream
4 c. blueberries
1 1/2 c. sugar
a squeeze of lemon juice
1 Tbs. water
1 Tbs. vanilla extract
4 c. half n half

Cook the berries, sugar, lemon juice and water over medium heat.  Mash them down with a potato masher and bring to a simmer.  Simmer until sugar is dissolved.  Remove from heat and add half n half and vanilla.  Cool for the fridge overnight or in an ice bath if you need it sooner.  You want the mix very cold before putting it in your ice cream maker.  Freeze for 15-20min in your maker.  Allow to "ripen" in the freezer for a couple hours more. 
Kid Approved!

3 comments:

  1. That is such a cute picture! Looks like it was a real hit. We don't have an icecream maker, but do you know if there's a way to make icecream without one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just purchased an ice cream maker and this is on my to-make list after reading your post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my God this looks so good and i`m sure that it is delicious too. I think that this is a easy recipe so i will give it a try, thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to say hello! I appreciate hearing from my tens of readers more than you know. :)